Friday, March 22, 2013

The Saga of the Broken Backlight

My computer is eight years old, which is what happens when you go straight to graduate school from college. It's a mac, and has served me well up until the last few months, where a very annoying problem has cropped up.

I'm typing this on pained wrists with my laptop screen bent at an acute angle, because if I position it in a remotely normal way the backlight turns off.

There is nothing more annoying than writing a story, or sending an email, and having your computer backlight suddenly turn off, which is the equivalent of plunging your work into darkness. Then I have to fold and unfold my laptop like I'm playing an accordion to try and get it to turn back on. Sometimes it works when I fold it back and forth a lot, sometimes I have to put it at 30 degrees and then wait while slowly inching it back to a workable position, and other times I have to resist putting my fist through it when nothing works at all.The past week or so has been especially bad, as the backlight will not turn on for about an hour after I wake the computer up.

And then, once I get it working, my cat will come up and nudge it with his face and I'll have to do it all over again.

Needless to say, writing has been slow when I have to wait nearly an hour for my backlight to turn on. But I'm going to get a new computer this weekend, so hopefully I'll avoid this problem for another eight years.

No comments:

Post a Comment